Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Part 5: Living Through Treatment

            When I started Chemotherapy I had treatment every two weeks. Each session would consist of infusions that lasted about 4 hours. Every other appointment my girlfriend would join me and we would meet with the Oncologist first, and then go for the infusion (she would leave after I saw the Dr.). There are numerous side effects from the Chemotherapy, and they vary depending on what kind of Chemo drugs you’re on, and you as an individual. Some come and stay, others come and go. I’ll only speak here of the side effects I’ve experienced, and how they’ve affected me.

            The first side effect- the one everyone knows about- is hair loss. The Chemo I started with did not make me lose my hair- it just thinned it. Though I did lose quite a bit, luckily I started with a full head of hair, so it didn’t look *that* bad. Oddly enough I lost all the hair on my calves, and outer part of both thighs. I’m currently off the drug that made my hair thin, and what hair has come back is silver- maybe there’s been some stress in my life lately? Nausea is next, and while I never actually threw up, it’s no picnic, but if you remember, they gave me drugs for that. There’s fatigue, especially in the days after treatment, which is very real, and at times, overwhelming. After the first couple of treatments, I spent most of Friday (after getting the pump removed) into Saturday exhausted, and sleeping a lot. There were also what my Primary Care Physician called “back side effects” where I vacillated between diarrhea and constipation; neither of which is very fun.

             The Oxaliplatin had a very unusual side effect- cold sensitivity. Drinking a cold liquid would make my throat close up and leave me gagging. Also, if I touched something cold it would feel like I was grabbing a live wire. Sometimes it was so intense that even making a sandwich with cold cuts hurt. Luckily this was not a constant side effect, but rather one that would get worse after treatment, and subside as I got farther away from treatment- only to come back when the next treatment was given. My fingernails and toenails have become fragile, tearing like paper even when trying something as simple as opening a pistachio. In addition to that, there’s numbness in my fingers that feels like my skin has been stretched too tight over my fingertips. It got so bad at one point there was a time I couldn’t even button up my own shirt. Along with this, the skin on my fingers would at times start to crack and peel and hurt. Yes, it seems like an oxymoron to say the fingers were both numb and hurt, but it happened.

              One side effect that took a few months to fully impact me was mouth sores. They prescribed a compound they call “Magic Mouthwash” but after a while the sores were so bad that didn’t come close to handling the pain. You know it’s bad when toothpaste hurts. Then they prescribed Lidocaine that I could carefully put on the sores (which were on the inside of my cheeks). I had to be careful to not get it on my tongue or it would go numb and swallowing could become a problem. Bleeding gums were another problem- flossing became almost non-existent- and when I brushed my teeth I would bleed. Not even switching to a soft child’s toothbrush made it better. I wake up every morning with blood, and the taste of blood in my mouth- a new low for “morning breath”. After treatment I would also get a bad taste in my mouth, like there was a thick coating on my tongue. One of the solutions for that was soda. Soda would temporarily get rid of the coating. Of course if I had mouth sores I wouldn’t drink the soda because it would hurt.


               The chemo would also make my nose run, and when I blew my nose, there would be blood. The steroids have also gave me insomnia for the first couple of days after treatment, as well as making my eyesight worse. The Dr. told me not to go get glasses, because when I get off the steroids my eyes will get better and I’d just have to get glasses all over again. It’s all so very frustrating, especially knowing that this is the new normal for me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Howard! I am so, so sorry for all this pain! I hope and pray that this nightmare becomes more manageable soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete